So what do we do differently?
At a beauty spa you are normally offered a regular massage, and while this type of massage has its purpose (most massage therapists can give a regular massage), to provide a sports or remedial massage you need to have undertaken further study and qualifications.
Here at Northcote Chiropractic it is your choice if you would like a regular massage or a more specialised massage, you do not need to see the Chiropractor to have a massage, although our massage therapists do work alongside our Chiropractors.
The types of massages we offer are:
This massage holistically treats the whole body and traces the discomfort as far as possible back to the original cause, healing both the cause of the disorder as well as the symptoms. This type of massage can be gentle or strong, deep or shallow depending on your needs and problems.
This is a treatment is given with the understanding of not only anatomy and physiology but also the demands that specific training places on the body. This type of massage will often utilise a variety of deeper techniques such as remedial massage, trigger point therapy, cross fibre techniques and deep tissue work. The main difference of sports massage is the focus on function and returning to or enhancing sport performance.
The reasons for having pre and post event sport massage include:
- Reduce the chance of injury
- Improve power and performance by increasing muscular flexibility and joint range of motion
- Increase vascular flow to tissues, maximizing nutrient and oxygen supply
- Improve elimination of lactic and carbonic waste products, which result from muscle contraction during physical activity
- Shorten recovery time post event