Spring is definitely in the air and with it this desire to clean everything!
So we begin to wonder if our body doesn’t need a good detox…
But what does that mean exactly, how does it work and how do you know if you need it?
What is a detox and how does it work?
There are 5 ways for our body to eliminate what it doesn’t need:
- The Liver, our body’s busiest organ, filters our blood and removes residue of common prescription, over the counter drugs, caffeine, nicotine, carcinogens, insecticides and other chemicals.
- The Kidneys, filter out toxins made water-soluble by the liver and excrete them in urine.
- The Intestines remove fat soluble toxins as well as toxins from bowel bacteria.
- Lungs removes gaseous wastes through exhalation.
- Skin eliminates fat soluble toxins such as DDT and heavy metal such as lead through perspiration.
Every hour of every day your body works to remove what it doesn’t need.
The principle of a detox diet is to limit the toxin we put in our body and increase the elimination.
But if you think about it, our body can be intoxicated because the elimination function is not working properly. In that case, having less toxin will not restore the function but just bring temporary benefits.
And trying to increase the organs activity when they are already tired can actually have the opposite effect.
Not saying that you shouldn’t improve your diet but a detox diet can be drastic and if your elimination system is already in a bad shape, it will be like using a Karcher to clean a delicate surface.
When the body works correctly, he is perfectly able to get read of the toxins!
So how do I know if I need to detox or not?
Firstly, do a little check up…
- Do you feel tired?
- What does your skin feel like?
- How is your concentration and your energy level during the day?
- How is your digestion going?
- Are you getting a lot of tendinitis and inflammation?
- Do you have headaches?
All of these symptoms can be the result of a bad elimination.
Secondly, before going into detox see what obvious toxins you can (easily) avoid…
- Refined sugars?
- These are the most obvious ones!
Detox doesn’t have to be a strict diet, quitting alcohol or sugar for a while can be a good start.
Thirdly, go check the function!
- Chiropractors treat the subluxation that create interference in your nervous system.
- Without those interferences, the physiological function of every organ is restored and your body should be able to eliminate the toxin.
If you are still unsure, why not investigate a bit further and and have a check up with Alex Gear, our Registered Nutritional Therapist.